Instilling Confidence in Your Kids

As a coach there are many hats that you need to wear.  You need to be an organizer, a salesman, a tireless worker, a teacher and most importantly of all, a motivator.  Kids go through many hurdles as they grow up in the game.  There are setbacks.  There are bad games.  There are games against great teams. And there are days where the kids just don't have it.  You as a coach don't have the luxury of having an off day.  It isn't fair to the kids you coach to have an off day.  One bad day and you could lose your kids for the rest of the season.  The balance you need to maintain lies between pushing your players to go beyond their comfort zone which can be exhausting and uncomfortable for them and instilling confidence in them that each and every day they push themselves they are getting better.  It isn't easy but it needs to be done. 





I always start the season off with my expectations for the team and what they can expect from me.


My expectations from them:
  • Be prepared to practice hard and fast. 
  • Be accepting of all of your teammates.  There are no cliques on the team.
  • Hold yourselves and your teammates accountable.
  • Always work hard in practice and play hard in the games.
  • Never make fun of a teammate.
  • Never talk when a coach is talking.
  • Always pay attention when a coach is explaining something.  Even if it is not directed at you.  You may learn something.
  • Always hustle to the coach when he whistles for the team to come together.
  • If you see a teammate on the floor run over and help them up.
  • Always cheer on your teammates when they make a good play.
  • Pay attention to the game, even when you are on the bench.  If you are caught not paying attention to the game while on the bench you will not play.
  • Never yell or discourage a teammate for making a mistake.
  • Never show up an opponent.
  • Never argue with a referee.
  • Try not to miss practice
  • The only mistake on the team is lack of hustle or not paying attention.
  • Get your homework done everyday.
  • Keep your grades up!
What they can expect from me:
  • I am not a baby sitter.  If you joined the team to be with your friends then go home right now.  We're here to play ball.
  • I will never yell at a player for trying something new at practice.  I want to promote an environment where they can experiment and  grow.  I don't want them to be afraid to try something on the floor.
  • I will be your number one fan come practice and games.
  • I will always be encouraging to my team.
  • I will push you hard to become a better player.
  • I will push you hard to play fast.
  • I will not tolerate laziness.  If a player does not hustle, I will let them know about it.
  • I will not tolerate having to talk over a player in practice or a game.  When I talk players should listen. 
  • I will try to be at every practice.
  • I will try to be at every game.
  • My team is my family for the season.  If you need anything then let me know.
  • Everyone who dresses will get playing time (especially at the lower grade levels).
I'm all about setting goals and striving to attain them.  The goals that I set need to be challenging but at the same time achievable.  This is how we approach the season's goals:
  • Long Term Goal - this goal is where you envision your team at the end of the year.  I never predict season outcomes because setting expectations too high or too low can cause problems for your team as the season wears on and they realize that they can't reach these goals.  Rather than predicting where the team will be at the end of the year record wise.  I prefer to tell the team where they will be at the end of the year in terms of the following:
    • Fundamentals
    • Offenses we will run
    • Defenses we will run
    • Our style of play
  • Short Term Goals - once the long term goals are set, you can start breaking down the goals into short term targets.  For example, if you are planning on running a motion offense, the first goal you will set is about understanding floor balance.  Once this goal is achieved you can set a new goal.  This is where setting challenging yet attainable goals are important.  Use these short term goals as stepping stones toward your long term goals and make sure that when the goal is attained you let the team know and then announce the next short term goal.
By setting challenging yet attainable goals you will motivate your team to work hard in practice.  To make this even more effective you also need to be encouraging as a coach.  Show excitement when they reach a goal.  Be a motivator if they are having issues with one of the goals you set. And most importantly of all never be discouraging.  Instill in your team a confidence the if they work hard everything else will fall into place.  After all, regardless of what sport you play, it's difficult to control the outcome, what you can control is your effort.  Make sure your players understand this.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drill: 5v5v5 Fast Break

Burpees (HIIT) Bakers Dozen

Layups, Layups, Layups