Offensive Philosophy

I have spent a lot of time over the last couple of years breaking down general offensive movements.  I have shown my general philosophies on how to get open on the wing to start an offense to what players should do when the ball is in the middle of the paint.  What I haven't done is expressed my philosophy on offensive flow.  This is what this article is about.


Being that I coach younger kids my offensive flow philosophy is rather simplified.  I do this intentionally.  My belief is that when coaching kids between grades 1-6 your main job as a coach is to teach your team the following:
  1. Individual offensive fundamentals
  2. Individual defensive fundamentals
  3. Team offensive fundamentals
  4. Team defensive fundamentals
With the above in mind me goal when teaching offense is to make sure that I emphasize the following basics.
  1. Always keep the floor balanced
  2. Know how to get open when covered
  3. Get comfortable with passing and moving
  4. Know where to go when the ball enters the paint
I don't run isolations or 2 man games.  I try to make sure that everyone who is on the floor has a chance to touch the ball.

I start my teaching by having the kids paly 3 v 3.  I find that mini games are better than 5 v 5 because:
  1. It gives all the players on the floor a chance to touch the ball.
  2. It forces the defense to learn how to play both on ball and off ball basics in a more simplified mode.
  3. It teaches offensive players to keep the floor spaced but to also try to get open for each other.
Starting from my first practice I will use these scrimmages as an opportunity to build.  I will take the time to introduce an offensive and defensive principle and then allow the kids to immediately apply them.  I do follow a specific sequence:
  1. 3v3 
    • Offense-Intro to floor spacing and support.  Teach pass, cut and replace.
    • Defense-Start with the concept of stay in front of your man.
      2. 3v3
    • Offense-Continue teaching pass, cut and replace.  Introduce how to get open on the wing by doing v-cuts.
    • Defense-Start teaching how to play on ball defense and how to deny one pass away.
      3. 3v3
    • Offense-Continue teaching pass, cut and replace.  Introduce how to get open on the wing by doing pin downs.
    • Defense-Continue teaching how to play on ball defense and how to deny one pass away. Introduce 2 pass away help defense.  How to help your teammates when the defense breaks down.
      4. 3v3
    • Offense-Continue teaching pass, cut and replace.  Introduce how to get open on the wing by doing "dribble ats."
    • Defense-Put more emphasis on "on ball defensive pressure."  Introduce proper defensive close outs.
      5. 3v3
    • Offense-Continue teaching pass, cut and replace.  Introduce how to get open on the wing by doing "dribble handoffs."
    • Defense-Put more emphasis on "on ball defensive pressure."  Introduce proper defensive close outs.
After this sequence you can start thinking about introducing 5 v 5.  We'll save this for another post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drill: 5v5v5 Fast Break

Burpees (HIIT) Bakers Dozen

Layups, Layups, Layups